The Mali is officially last Tuesday under a state of emergency until the end of the year for the second time since the attack against a great Bamako hotel in November, while a dozen jihadists were “neutralized” by the French army.
Moreover, in a report, the Human Rights Division of the Man of the UN Mission in Mali (Minusma) denounced “serious violations of international law” in an attack on a village in the north by the Coordination of movements of Azawad (CMA, predominantly Tuareg rebellion) and when it was taken by pro-government forces.
Two civilians were killed during the attack on the CMA over the village of Tin Hama, and the next day, six others were victims of summary executions, and community, suspected of sympathies for the rebels, was expelled under threat , nearly 230 people, according to the report, confirming the story collected at the time among the protagonists.
The Minusma condemns the violations of international law by armed groups and regrets in particular that no judicial inquiry has been opened, and the passivity of the armed forces, demanding a government investigation “concerning the behavior of troops stationed in Tin Hama on 20 and 21 May, and their involvement, active or passive “in these abuses.
Fighting between CMA and pro-Bamako groups continued despite the signing of a peace agreement in May to June, but have stopped since the conclusion of “pacts of honor” between the belligerents October 16, after three Anefis weeks of meetings in the north-east.
Since then, the jihadist threat, a time overshadowed by the fighting, returned to the fore, especially with the November 20 attack on the Radisson Blu Bamako, which killed 20 people, including 14 foreign customers, and more the two attackers, according to official figures.
The attack was claimed that day by the Al-Mourabitoune group of Algerian Mokhtar Belmokhtar, in coordination with Al Qaeda in the Maghreb Islamic (AQIM), announcing the two teams then have sealed their alliance on this occasion.
– ‘Avoid crowds’ –
French military operation barkhane the struggle against jihadism in the Sahel have also “neutralized” during the night of December 19 to 20 “ten terrorists” during an operation targeting members of al Mourabitoune Méanka in the region, near the border of Niger, said Tuesday the French Ministry of Defence.
Soon after, the Malian government has declared a state of emergency for ten days because of “the evolution of the security situation in Mali and in the sub-region,” according to an official statement on Monday evening after a Council of Ministers Extraordinary safety.
This exceptional measure gives more opportunities for such interventions by the security forces and small gatherings.
Questioned by AFP on any specific threats, a Malian minister said, on condition of anonymity: “Even in France, the approach of the holiday season, there are measures that are taken. Mali has the duty to take the lead. ”
“For the end of year festivities, avoid gatherings. The enemy can enjoy these gatherings,” he he said.
The attack of 20 November was also claimed by the Macina Liberation Front (LWF), jihadist training recently appeared in the center of the country, “with the collaboration of Ansar Dine” jihadist group of former rebel leader Tuareg Iyad Ag Ghaly.
Northern Mali fell in March-April 2012 under the control of jihadists linked to al Qaeda, after the defeat of the army facing the Tuareg rebellion dominant, first allied with these groups who then evicted .
Jihadists were scattered and were largely driven out following the launch in January 2013, at the initiative of France, an international military intervention is ongoing. But whole areas still outside the control of Malian and foreign forces.